I'm feeling the weight of creating a room for my littlest boy. He's almost two (sob), and asking for a big bed almost daily. A big boy or big girl room is important because you're trying to combine the present and the future. My philosophy is to design for a ten year span. That means nothing too theme-y and keep the big ticket items classic and timeless. That doesn't mean it can't be fun and have trendy pieces!
It's all about balance.
If you follow me on Pinterest, you may have seen the board I've been pinning for H.'s big boy room.
I am just piecing it together slowly in my mind while I do other, more important things, like work for clients. But I've made five decisions to guide the rest of the way.
1) I want this sconce over the bedside table.
2) I love the color combination of dark blues and yellow.
3) He will have two twin beds with the table in the midle. The space can handle it, and we need to be able to sleep as many guests as possible when family is in town.
4) I'll be finding headboards on Craig's List and painting them.
5) He needs plenty of accessible storage for books.
All of these images and sources can be found here.
What do you think? Am I on the right track?
Do you agree that kid rooms are important? Contact me for help!